Up All Night- The Growing Prysocks

6 Months in DC

Filed under: , , , by: David and Stephanie

Last summer, David and I were pretty unsure of what our future held. Graduation was looming and we hadn't exactly nailed down our plans. In fact, at our graduation banquet, each graduate was required to stand up and say what they were doing. David and I listened to all of our friends announcing their prestigious doctoral programs and great jobs and somehow managed to stand up ourselves and shyly mumbled something about maybe having an interview somewhere.

Two days after we graduated, we flew to DC for David to interview at Youth Villages. It went well, but they were very tight-lipped about whether or not he had the job. We flew back to Abilene and had a week to be out of our apartment. And no place to go.

But God is so faithful and minutes after we locked up our apartment and turned in the keys, David received a call offering him the position. We were elated! We spent a couple of weeks bumming around Texas and visiting family before making the {excruciatingly long} drive from Houston to D.C. {in which I was the perfect wife and never whined once.}

Exactly 6 months ago today, David and I officially moved into our new apartment in Alexandria, VA. It’s been an incredible 6 months and I wanted to mark this day with things I have learned since leaving Texas and moving DC.

1) Heat is a luxury. A wonderful luxury, but a luxury.
2) In-unit washing machines and dryers are also a luxury. But I really really love them.

3) As much as I like our dishwasher, I could live without it.

4) Borrowing books from the library is, honestly, just as good as buying. At least most of the time.

5) Moving far away from family is perfect for learning to trust yourself and your spouse

6) Having four seasons is pretty wonderful…
7) …but I am definitely a Texas girl that prefers the heat and humidity over the cold, snowy and windy

8) Living in tourist-y locations guarantees more visitors.

{My mom and I at the WWII memorial: September}

{Myranda and I in the Smithsonian: December}

{And coming in March: Jordan and April!}
{And coming in April: Alyson!}
(And potentially coming in May: Reno and Kayla!}
(And potentially coming this summer: My parents!}

9) Learning how to live outside of academia takes a little getting used to. I totally missing having a grade assigned to my work. Who knew?

10) Making meals that remind you of your dearest friends and family makes you not miss them quite as much
11) But you still miss them. A lot.

12) Material possessions don’t matter as much as a wonderful husband and a happy home life.

4 comments:

On March 8, 2010 at 5:25 PM , Samantha said...

#5 was the BEST thing that we learned when we moved to LA... but it took me a little longer than 6 months.

Miss you two!!

 
On March 8, 2010 at 6:16 PM , Stephanie said...

It's been...interesting, to say the least!

And I definitely keep having to remind myself that we don't always need to consult parents whenever we make a decision. It's pretty hard for me to break the habit, but David is very sweet and patient with me. :)

We miss you guys as well! So much!

 
On March 10, 2010 at 1:43 AM , rkw said...

Speaking of visitors, did David ever tell you that we were thinking of coming that way in May. We miss the heck out of you guys. Wish you were closer, but glad you are happy.
Grace and Peace

 
On March 10, 2010 at 8:44 AM , Stephanie said...

Yeah! We would LOVE to have you guys come see us! I think David sent you a message about the dates, but let me know if not. We miss you guys too!