Saturday was a bit stressful. As happy as we both are to be moving, finding out we had less than a month to get moving estimates, pack up, and wrap up our lives here caused a bit of...tension.
Especially from the type-a wife who had lists and obligations swimming in her head constantly.
Fortunately, I married an amazing man. In the midst of my noonish-still-in-rumpled-clothes-with-bedhead-because-we-slept-in-ohmygoodness-why-did-we-sleep-in-we-have-so-much-to-do freak out, my sweet husband looked at me, smiled, and said, "I want to take you somewhere."
"What?" I replied, trying to wrap my head around this insanity without committing husband-o-cide. (A note from David: Steph loves to make up words, this is an excellent example. This is one of the things I love about her.)
"Let's go to Rock Creek Park."
And just like that, the stress melted away. I hopped up, quickly got dress {and tamed the bedhead}, grabbed Beesly and we were out the door.
Rock Creek Park is probably our favorite thing in DC It's a park within the actual District and it surprises me every time we happen upon it. You can be driving through crowded, busy DC streets and then all of the sudden you're in a forest. It's incredible.
We drove to one of the many parking/picnic areas that happened to have a stream next to it {which I will now refer to as "rapids" or "river" because it sounds much better than a wimpy little stream. You'll see why. Trust me.}
The river was awesome. There were rocks throughout it spaced just close enough together to tempt me to cross and far enough apart that I was pretty sure I was gonna fall in at some point.
David and I had a blast playing and wading into the river {risking our lives, really} and teaching Beesly to hop across the rocks with us. She loved it. {And she was surprisingly brave and skilled at crossing on her own.}
(I might prefer "The Han Solo of Rock Creek Park", but Daniel Boone works too)
Really. Ignore the looks on her face. She loved it, I promise.
All three of us bounded around the river, dodging rapids by nimbly climbing over every available rock. We were also being chased by three children and a little white dog. The kids saw Beesly being awesome and decided that their dog was equally awesome. Poor dog. It was like C3PO trying to be as awesome as Han. Or McCoy trying to be as awesome as Coach Taylor. Or Ben trying to be as awesome as Locke.
Basically, the dog failed. And fell in the water constantly.
Beesly must have been feeling pretty confident because as I was standing in the midst of the rapids {in the actual water, not on a rock}, Beesly decided that she was a baller and hopped right in after me {despite my warning for her to stay put whilst I tested the current}. Her skinny 8lbs was whisked away PROMPTLY and I dove in right after her and rescued her. {I missed seeing this directly, but I'm sure it was something epic like in that coast guard movie The Guardian.}
(David: I keep trying to explain to her that "baller" is more appropriate for people who play basketball. I think a more appropriate description would be "girl scout", not only for nature prowess, but for being cute and providing baked goods.)
When we got home, we treated ourselves to a frozen pizza and a few episodes of Battlestar Galactica. (The disc ended in a crushing cliffhanger and we didn't have the next disc. It was terrible.) And this type-a wife was completely okay with relaxing and spending one last Saturday relaxing with her sweet husband and adorable puppy without a list in sight.

1 comments:
You guys are so cute. :) So glad you're moving back to Texas... we're there at least once a year and would love to catch up with yall! Enjoy your time in DC while you can! :)