Every other month, I’ve been shocked but this month I feel it. I’ve seen you growing. I’ve had to put away more and more 6 month clothes. Clothes that, apparently, were the last vestiges of your babyhood. I’ve been getting out your 9-12 month outfits and they look so grown-up.
I watch you play and explore and move {when did THAT happen?} and it’s amazing. I stare at you and watch as your face flashes from baby to little boy and back again. And I know that sometime in the future {too soon for me, I’m sure}, the little baby face will disappear and the little boy face will remain.
So I’m soaking it all up.
We had your 9-month check-up and you were basically right in the middle on every measurement: Weight: 20 lbs. 4 oz. (44%); Height: 28 1/2 in. (57%); Head circumference 45 cm (39%). It's funny to me that you're actually a little under the 50th percentile in weight, because everyone always makes the comment that you're such a big boy. I guess it's those {adorable} chubby cheeks!
You are all boy. You are so rough-and-tumble that it’s insane. You will throw yourself after what you want {toys, Mama, Daddy, off-limit items} with absolutely no regard for your body. Bumps and bruises have happened several times this month and I am sure they are just a sign of things to come.
You’re super mobile now. We had to move you up to the crawlers room this month at church {which you have NOT been a fan of, so far}. You added rolling to your list of activities and, for most of the month, it was your preferred method of transportation. Gone are the days when I could leave you in the company of a toy for a moment and know you weren’t going anywhere. Now, if I leave the room for a split second you will have rolled yourself from a safe haven in the middle of our living room all the way to the treacherous electronics or sofas or kitchen. You’re like the baby Flash.
Just one day before your 9 month “birthday” you started crawling! I had an entire paragraph written about how you weren’t quite crawling yet and then you proved me totally wrong. It started small: just a few inches here and there. And then you just did it! You crawled like it was absolutely nothing. Like you’d been doing it all along. It’s so adorable and I’m loving that you can now get to where you want to be. I feel like it’s adding a whole different level of your personality.
You’ve tried so many new foods this month and it’s hilarious every time I introduce something new. You make such yucky faces, but still eat whatever we give you. Adorable. Avocado, however, is still a no-go. To this date, it’s still the only food you actively spit out.
Playing Peek-a-boo or Where’s Jonah
Playing tug-o-war with Beesly
Reading with Mama or Daddy
Pulling up onto everything
Sophie {Still! Best baby gift ever}
Banging blocks together
Trying to get to the electronics before Mama or Daddy can stop you
Here's the milestone chart and where you are:
Mastered Skills (most kids can do)
1) Stands while holding onto something — Yes
2) Jabbers or combines syllables — Yes. You jabber all the time.
3) Understands object permanence — Yes. You will look around for something if you drop it, and you will sometimes cry or whine if one of us leaves the room without your consent.
3) Understands object permanence — Yes. You will look around for something if you drop it, and you will sometimes cry or whine if one of us leaves the room without your consent.
Emerging Skills (half of kids can do)
1) Cruises while holding onto furniture — Yes
2) Drinks from a sippy cup — Yes. You can also drink from an open cup if we hold it for you.
3) Eats with fingers — Yes. You make a huge mess and not a TON makes it into your little mouth, but you love trying.
4) Bangs objects together — Oh yes.
2) Drinks from a sippy cup — Yes. You can also drink from an open cup if we hold it for you.
3) Eats with fingers — Yes. You make a huge mess and not a TON makes it into your little mouth, but you love trying.
4) Bangs objects together — Oh yes.
Advanced Skills (a few kids can do)
1) Plays patty-cake and peek-a-boo — We don’t really play either of those games, per se. But we do play “Where’s Jonah,” which I think is similar? You love that game and have tried to cover your face to “hide” a few times.
2) Says “mama” or “dada” to the correct parent — Sort of. You make the “mama” and “dada” sound a lot. You’ve said “dada” to your daddy, but you also say it when he’s not around, so it’s hard to tell.
2) Says “mama” or “dada” to the correct parent — Sort of. You make the “mama” and “dada” sound a lot. You’ve said “dada” to your daddy, but you also say it when he’s not around, so it’s hard to tell.
Jonah, we love you so much. You are the biggest blessing and I know we say that often, but it’s so true. In a culture that doesn’t seem to value children, we want you to know that you were always loved and cherished and wanted. You light up our lives with your giggles and smiles. It has been so amazing watching you grow and we love learning more and more about you. I cannot wait to see how God is going to use your determination, sweetness, and sense of humor to glorify His Kingdom.



0 comments: