Friday Night Lights ruined my sleep last night. It was the typical situation, you watch an episode and it's really good and then you have to watch the next one. Repeat about 10 times and before you know it, you've finished that last half of the season and it's two in the morning. What happened was that I decided to take Steph's laptop to bed so I could watch episodes instantly with Netflix. My thought was that I would get too sleepy to watch after an episode or two, which is what usually happens. Honestly, it's hard to sleep with Steph away. There's no real specific reason why her absence makes it harder to sleep, that's just how it is. But I'll talk more about that in another post.
I can really only blame myself for not getting to sleep. I knew it would be tough with Steph being gone, but watching the show just exacerbated the problem. Having TV shows available instantly is really dangerous to begin with for many reasons. In fact, if I were to make a list of things that are dangerous, this is what it would look like, in no particular order:
1. Ninjas
2. Assassins
3. Ninja assassins
4. A massive pile of unguarded, free cookies and/or cake
5. Bears
6. Instant, unfettered access to high quality programming
7. Chuck Norris
8. Honey badgers
9. Free bacon
10. Texting while driving
This is what I have realized, cable is not all it's cracked up to be. In retrospect I see how cable can be used just to mindlessly fill the time. When I used to sit down to watch TV just for a little while or during a meal, I'd watch something that I only kind of liked. I would flip through channels and find the show that I most wanted to watch out of what was on our available channels. Of course "I most wanted to watch" can also mean "sucked the least." But when you can watch just the shows you really want to watch, you get sucked in like I did. At the rate I've been watching Friday Night Lights, I will probably finish the three available seasons within a week. Maybe more if they were on Netflix.
Tonight's movie: Men Who Stare At Goats
Prognosis: Silly
For dinner I'm having another store brand pizza, just regular cheese this time. I won't be able to "add pizazz to pizza night with this sassy southern recipe!" like last time. Hey, I can't eat like a king every night.
Self-loathing song resulting from lack of sleep: "All by Myself" by whichever of many cover artists you prefer
August reading roundup #3
5 days ago
0 comments: