Men Who Stare at Goats was silly, as expected. It wasn't quite as funny as I was hoping, but it did have some high-class actors in it. I was actually surprised at how many big actors it had. I think the funniest part about it was having Ewan McGregor as the main character when they're talking about Jedi's and using special powers. IRONY.
There were even some good minor actors as well. It had this guy who is now recently famous as the bad guy in Avatar. And also, this guy who's in Friday Night Lights. What a coincidence!! Like I said it was good, but I'm glad I watched it through Netflix and not in a theater since it wasn't that good. I checked this site that analyzes your Netflix account and currently I'm spending approximately 25 cents per rental. So yeah, it was worth at least 25 cents. I might even be generous and say 75 cents.
Let's talk about sweet tea. Not having access to quality sweet tea is one serious drawback to living farther north. We also don't have Blue Bell up here, which is an entirely different issue. I can't talk about that right now, it'll make me upset. So back to the sweet tea. I was out in the city and I decided I was thirsty so I stopped at McDonald's to try their sweet tea. Surprisingly, it was quite good. It's not the best, but it's still pretty good. In fact, it makes the top three of my list of acceptable, quality sweet teas. Here's the list:
1. Chicken Express
2. McAlister's
3. McDonald's
Actually that's the whole list, so being in the top three isn't that big of a deal.
And guess what, I'm not even done talking about sweet tea. The past few days have been rough. I'm really trying to give McDonald's sweet tea a chance, but the delicate first stages of this relationship has been very rocky. A few days ago I decided I was thirsty so I swinged (swanged? swung?) stopped by McDonald's on the way home. I had finished with work early that day and after I quenched my thirst with a couple sips I decided to save the rest to have with dinner. The predicament is that I didn't want the ice to melt so I put it in the freezer, otherwise you get watered down sweet tea and that's just not acceptable, even for third string. As I was going to bed I remembered that I had left it in the freezer and sure enough, it was frozen solid.
Crap.
I decided to try to recover it by putting it in the fridge overnight and let it thaw slowly and hopefully still prevent watering down. When I finally remembered it again, two days later, it was all watery and kinda gross. I drank it anyway since it seems wasteful to just throw away $1.06 worth of third-rate tea.
Still not done blogging about sweet tea.
After that whole debacle I learned my lesson, right? Oh no, same thing happened the next day. I got tea on the way home from work and the next morning I opened the fridge to get out the icing for my cinnamon rolls, and there it was. Staring me in the face. Judging me. "You left me here all night just to sit and ruin? Why can't you just remember to drink me during dinner? Do I mean that little to you?" (I hadn't said anything about being #3, and I'm glad because it surely would have just made things worse.)
Tonight, I finally remembered to drink the tea I bought for dinner at dinner. I hope my shaky relationship with McDonald's sweet tea can start to recover from here. This is going to be really important as long as I'm so far from Texas.
In yesterday's news, I received a card from my amazing wife documenting her adventure! It only covered the airplane trip, but it was good to finally hear from her. She's been so off the map that she just today found out I've been blogging since she left. But her being out of the loop is a good thing because it means she's been having fun. I also got to talk to her on the phone today which was much needed. Of course getting to talk to her just means I miss her even more, and it makes me pretty jealous of all the fun she's having in Seattle.
Take that sappyness (blogger put a squiggly red line under that, but I'm keeping it because I like how it looks better than sappiness) and combine it with the ridiculous amounts of text devoted to sweet tea and I think I have the ideal song for the day.
Mellow, drink-related song of the day: "The Drink In My Hand" by The Classic Crime
August reading roundup #3
5 days ago
0 comments: