Up All Night- The Growing Prysocks

Man vs. Bachelorhod, Round 2: Day 16

Filed under: by: David and Stephanie

Since it has been over a fortnight since I've seen my wife, I have a good excuse for descending into lunacy and making a random post.

One of my quirks (and maybe yours too if you'll admit it!) is naming inanimate objects. I'm not exactly sure when this started for me, probably in high school, but it's something I've done consistently with most of the major objects I use on a regular basis. The oldest thing I can remember naming is my first car, Whitey.


I named it Whitey because....it's white. It also happens to have a huge crater in the windshield in that picture because of someone else's Halloween pumpkin-throwing shenanigans.

I also remember naming my first personal computer that I got for college. It was a Sony Vaio and it was pretty fancy for the time. I used that computer through all of college and part of grad school. It ended up not turning on or crashing the few times it did. I named that computer Erica. Why? Because my middle name is Eric and it had to be a girl's name. I suppose I'm entitled to a little egotism right after high school graduation.

The recliner that I currently have is named Audrey. I don't exactly remember the reasoning behind that one, it just sounded right.

After Whitey died of sudden transmission failure, I was graciously given my current car which I named after my late dog, Sandy. The car is sand colored, so that one isn't a very far stretch.

Now, the important thing to remember about naming things is that you can't keep using the same thing over and over. Otherwise every car I owned might be called the Millennium Falcon, and that just cheapens it. I have made this mistake unknowingly and it saddens me. My amazing wife got me a Wii as a wedding gift and when I realized you could name the console, I named it Serenity, after this:

Not thinking, I later named the laptop I was given Serenity as well. My laptop is generally good and reliable, but it does act up sometimes, which is why Serenity applies.

And now that we're talking about computers, I should point out a recent disagreement Steph and I have had on this issue. After worrying about the state of our iMac and the many photos and songs contained therein, we decided it would be prudent to get an Apple Time Machine with some of our tax money. Steph felt that now that all of our computers are connected through a network drive, that their names should share a common theme. I had already named the iMac Leia when it became mine, and I have stubbornly resisted a sudden and arbitrary name change. She had named her laptop Edward, but changed it later to Topher (Twilight and Dollhouse respectively). I didn't want to change the names of anything, but I have begrudgingly conceded her point. Now, our Time Machine is called Topher:


The network itself is named the Dollhouse, of course. Steph has named her MacBook Whiskey:

(I think she's developed an Amy Acker girl crush.) We renamed the iMac Echo, and I have begrudgingly decided to rename my laptop Ballard:


So what's more nerdy: to name your electronics after a sci-fi show? Or to name your electronics after a sci-fi show that only lasted two seasons? You decide. The answer is probably "Yes."

Let's see, what else..... I named my Xbox Marvin after the robot in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, since that robot was not only white, but smart and useful. (Side note: today is Towel Day, for those who care.)

My iPhone, which goes with me everywhere, is called Vera after this gun:


And finally is my Garmin GPS, which I recieved as a going away/moving to a big scary city gift. It's my constant companion on the job. It guides me around town and provides all the information I need. It's a brave and loyal friend that I would be lost without. The most appropriate name is, of course, R2.


And I even have a little X-wing icon on the navigation map to represent my car!

Song of the day: "White and Nerdy" by Weird Al

6 comments:

On May 26, 2010 at 12:07 AM , Stephanie said...

i love you.

also. i would like the world to know that, while i did enjoy twilight, i did not name my computer edward. nope. that would be david that named it edward. he will deny it. but it is true. i changed the name quickly and without much fanfare, which is probably why he thought it had stuck.

carry on.

 
On May 26, 2010 at 12:10 AM , Stephanie said...

also. of COURSE i have an amy acker girl crush. who doesn't, really.

 
On May 26, 2010 at 10:43 PM , Valerie said...

"After Whitey died of sudden transmission failure"

I WAS THERE FOR THAT! We were in the parking lot of the Abilene mall-- you, me, and Charity.

I feel so famous right now!!! I mean-- aww, poor Whitey....

 
On May 26, 2010 at 11:52 PM , David and Stephanie said...

It was an epic and tragic event that I would not have survived without friends.

But yes, you should feel famous.

 
On May 27, 2010 at 9:23 AM , Katie said...

I remember Whitey's demise - and then the great rejoicing at the arrival of Sandy.

Also, I seem to recall lots of our friends naming inanimate objects in college. Maybe it was a House 9 thing...

 
On May 28, 2010 at 8:08 AM , rkw said...

How could you name it Whitey and completely overlook that it's a Ford and you therefore named it Whitey Ford.