Up All Night- The Growing Prysocks

Man vs. Bachelorhod, Round 2: Day 7

Filed under: by: David and Stephanie

I survived 1408 pretty well. It was actually pretty good, and as it turns out it got a pretty good rating on Rotten Tomatoes. They changed and added some things from the short story, but overall it kept the basic idea intact. John Cusack plays the role very well, going from cynical ghost hunter/writer to a tortured and desperately freaked out man trapped in his own personal room of fear. One annoyance was that I got the director's cut from Netflix which did not also include the theatrical cut. I would have liked to see both versions, but I guess that's what Wikipedia is for.

There were from freaky things in it such as random crazed guys popping out of corners and dead bodies crawling around in vents. I did really well last night not getting freaked out about the movie. Bu then I was getting ready for bed when I thought, "I'm really glad I watched that movie during the day so that it won't freak me out at bed time."

.....and then I started thinking about the movie.

Well crap.

Thinking about not thinking about it only made me think about it even more. There were a couple minutes there where I didn't think I'd be able to get it out of my head. Luckily, I was tired enough to go to sleep without worrying about people popping out at me or imagining the walls bleeding.

Today I'm watching another Stephen King adaptation- The Lawnmower Man. I haven't read the short story, but the movie seems interesting. After again consulting Wikipedia, it seems that the movie is not a faithful adaptation of the short story at all. The only thing they have in common is lawn mowing and mental impairment. The movie is about a scientist attempting to use virtual reality to enhance learning and brain development. The movie takes place around the turn of the millennium (about now I suppose) and the virtual reality is really odd and generally not good. It's always funny to see how movies made in the past predict what things would look like now.

The coolest part of this movie is in who plays Jobe (the developmentally challenged lawnmower man)-Jeff Fahey:


That's right! None other than Mr. Frank Lapidus. He's my favorite minor character on LOST. I think playing a developmentally challenged man helped prepare him for his role on LOST amidst all the crazy happenings.


In honor of the great Jeff Fahey, today's song is "You All Everybody" by Driveshaft

0 comments: